Saturday, May 16, 2009

Goodwill Bank

Today, a client was stood up by one of our most reliable consultants. The client was 20 minutes early, while the bugger was an hour late. I was there. How do I explain that one lapse? Nada!

To someone who has not seen it all, having to deal with an irate person is one horrifying experience. Fortunately, I have this uncanny ability to lead someone out of control to reach a calm and logical state. Why? Because "irate" is/was me, often describes/described me. Good to have one foot inside, in a good way that is.

Anyway, a couple of hours later, I received a call from the (already) cool and collected client absolving our company, my partner, and me. The productive resolution was expected after all the apologies (both in person and over the phone) and refund offer: the very least that we could do.

I just finished writing a letter to the client, for send-off on Monday. I have also enclosed a spa gift certificate. Why? Because we care to do more. As I always say, when dealing with non-clients and clients, "lose the argument but win the goodwill." It has always worked.

With regard to the consultant, she used an overdraft. She will have to clear it, together with the attached indirect costs. Otherwise, her credit rating will be damaged.

No comments: