Sunday, November 9, 2008

Dad enough

It takes a lot for me to shed a tear, not because I am a man, but due to circumstances in life that have numbed my emotions. However, when it comes to my kids, they just take my breath away. Make no mistake, I am not a good dad. I probably am more remiss than most fathers when it comes to responsibilities.

Seeing my eldest daughter for the first time was truly rewarding. I even recall not feeling any hunger at all in her presence. The experience though later turned into torment when I realized that we could not be together; she had to be with her mom in America. It was arguably one of my lowest and most depressing points.

With my youngest daughter, I saw myself crying again today. I had to discpline her for something that she did, but as it turned out, I ended up more hurt than her. Imagine sitting down with a sweet 3 year old, asking for forgiveness, and telling her how much you love her. She was in tears when she replied, "It's OK, dad. I still love you."

I really wish I could be a better dad. My babies, dad is working on it.

No comments: